Those tiny little packs of dessicant that come in your new pack of shoes or your vitamins have many uses around your home. Anywhere that moisture is a problem, silica gel packets can help alleviate the issue. Keep them stored in an airtight container away from pets and children (they are a choking hazard) and whip them out in the following scenarios.
Around the Kitchen
- Keep vitamins from moisture damage. (It's good to just keep those silica packs that come in the vitamin containers; save them once the vitamins are finished.)
- Keep dry food and pet food fresh and crispy with a silica gel pack taped to the lid of your storage container.
In the Closet
- Put a few silica gel packs in the bottom of your clothes hamper to absorb moisture from clothes or damp towels.
- A pack of silica gel will help dry out wet shoes or boots.
Around the House
- Reduce condensation on windows by setting a silica gel pack on the window sill. (Remember to keep them away from children and pets)
- Help dry out a non-water-resistant cell phone by putting it in a sealed bag with several silica gel packs.
- Protect important documents and photos from moisture with a silica gel pack inside the box or file cabinet.
- Boxes of paper memories — like old papers, photos or notebooks — in storage? Silica gel packs stored in the same container will adsorb moisture.
- Store silica gel packs with your tools to help prevent rust damage.
- Store some in your medicine cabinet if you keep medication in there. The silica gel packs will help keep humidity down.
- Keep razors from moisture damage by storing them in a sealed container with a silica gel pack.
- Placing a few silica gel packs between your dashboard and windshield in the car will help keep fogging to a minimum.
When You Travel
- Keep luggage dry while it's in storage by tossing a silica gel pack in each suitcase.
- Toss a few silica gel packs in a Ziploc bag if you can't dry your bathing suit before packing it.
Bonus Tip: To "reactivate" silica gel packs that are saturated with moisture, place them on a baking sheet in a 200 degree oven away from the heating element for two hours.