Name & Location: Vanessa in Lynchburg, Virginia
My Favorite Room: Guest Bedroom
Specs: 120 square feet
We live in a ranch home in central Virginia and have made it our own in the last year and a half of marriage. The guest room was a huge priority to us but we did not have much in the way of a budget. That was no problem. If there is one thing I can do, it is to use my imagination to create things that I cannot afford. I eagerly took on the project for the guest room.
We started out with just the bed and added decor slowly. I call my style "French cottage with classic lines." The little foot bench and the sewing machine end table were purchased at a thrift store The little dresser with the drawer that transforms into a desk is one of my favorite items in this room. I got it from friends who were selling their parent’s estate.
The room is small and so I had to be careful not to overwhelm it. There are so many thrifted items in this room that I am convinced that the secret to creating a budget-friendly space for your guests is to prioritize the bedding and to craft everything else. Although I prioritized the bedding, I was still able keep it budget-happy by purchasing those things brand new at yard sales. I made the duvet cover for the comforter out of two sheets. The throw pillow is made from drop cloth. The total price of doing this room was approximately $150.
- Bed: Already owned
- Throw pillow: DIY for maybe $3
- Duvet cover: $10
- Foot bench: $12 (goodwill)
- Dresser with Built in desk: $15 (yard sale)
- Cotton Sheets: $30 from Ross
- Gray and white shams: $10 from (TJ maxx)
- White cotton pillow cases: $6 (Ross)
- Comforter: $10 (brand new in package at yard sale)
- Bed Skirt: $5 (new from nice consignment shop)
- Quilt: Wedding present
- Lamp: $3 (Goodwill)
- Lampshade: $2 (Goodwill)
- Small mirror and frame: $5 (yard sale)
- White nightstand: gift
- Bicycle basket: gift
- Sewing machine nightstand: $5 (thrift store)
- Bottles: yard sale: $.50 (Goodwill)
- Basket: $10 (Homegoods)
- Cheval Mirror: Gift from sister in law
- Shelf: free
- Curtains: Already had from IKEA
- Chair: already owned
Thanks, Vanessa! You can see more of Vanessa's work on her blog Vanessa's Modern Vintage Home.