A Bright, Happy, Family Home…in a Backyard Shed
Can't-Miss House Tours Straight to Your Inbox
Keep up with our latest house tours each weekday with our House Tour of the Day newsletter
Name: Mel and Ryan Tonkin and their daughters, Millie and Olivia
Location: Bedfordale, Western Australia
Size: 95 square meters (1,023 square feet)
Years lived in: 4 years; Owned
To begin this House Tour, I must tell you that this house is actually a shed — a standard shed you’d find in the backyard of many Australian homes. What Mel and Ryan have done to their shed though, is something entirely different from any shed you have ever seen. It is extraordinary. The Tonkins’ home is filled with light, color, pattern, and such warmth that it is very easy to forget that you are actually standing in a shed. Mel has such a beautiful eye for all things design-related, and that is reflected in every single corner of this family home.
The couple sold their previous home a few years ago and decided that they wanted to begin their family in the hills of Bedfordale. To save for that dream, they lived in an extended family member’s back shed for two years before they were able to build their own on a five-acre plot of land. Mel then set out to transform the shed from a simple space to something that is filled to the brim with lots of custom-made pieces from family members, projects she DIYed herself, verge finds, and purchases from lots of small businesses she found on Instagram.
The shed has a main open plan living, kitchen, and dining area that is surrounded by lots of glass windows and sliding doors (the main change to the standard shed layout). This allows lots of natural light to flood the space and makes it feel a lot bigger than it actually is. Off the main living area there are three bedrooms: Ryan and Mel in one, the two daughters in another, and a spare room that they use as an office for their electrical business. The home also has one large bathroom that contains a washing machine, dryer, and linen cupboard.
Space may be tight inside, but with five acres to utilize, Ryan and Mel have decided to make the outside an extension of the house, building a playhouse for the girls, along with a sandpit, slide, and swing set. (They have also just had a huge in-ground pool installed at the front of the block, currently being prepared to be enjoyed by next summer.) And the playhouse sure hasn’t escaped Mel’s love of design! Like the main house, it is bright, fun, and decorated perfectly. The girls spend a lot of time out here, and it is not hard to see why. I suspect it may even be the perfect space for Mel to escape to when she needs a little peace and quiet from the demands of running both a household and the family business.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
Our Style: Modern Bohemian
Favorite Element: The wooden boxes my [Mel] dad made.
Biggest Challenge: Fitting everything in!
What Friends Say: They tell me I am a crazy plant lady! I am obsessed with plants and the life they bring into my home.
Biggest Embarrassment: I dont really have one!
Proudest DIY: My leather handles on all the kitchen cupboards.
Biggest Indulgence: The dining room chandelier. It is so bold and beautiful.
Best Advice: Only have things in your home that you truly love. As long as you love them, you can make it work.
Dream Sources: Anything bespoke and handmade.
PAINT & COLORS
- Main walls throughout: Dulux Natural White
- Cane chair: Gumtree
- Throw: Sage x Clare
- Pouf: a gift
- Hanging himmeli: Floral + Hardie
- Angel print: norsu interiors
- Brass wallhanging: MadeBySteph
- Velvet sofa: a lucky verge find!
- Cushions: Sage x Clare
- Throw: Sage x Clare
- Plant Pot: DIY by Mel
- Plants: Little Leaf Co
- Coffee table: DIY by Mel
- Pink pouf: Cranmore Home
- Boxes in corner: handmade by Mel’s dad
- Brass wallhanging: Made By Steph
- Macramé light wallhanging: DIY by Mel
- Candle: Pure Lux Candle Co
- Rug: Freedom
- Swing: Solvej Swings
- Dining table: Harvey Norman
- Chairs: Sitting Pretty
- Chair cushions: Tea Pea
- Island bench: made by Mel’s Dad
- Flowers: Floralstate
- Kitchen cabinets: Bunnings
- Box shelves: designed by Mel, built by Mel’s dad, featuring Bonnie and Neil tiles
- Leather handles: DIY by Mel
- Himmeli: Floral + Hardie
- Cross: Ahoy Trader
- Kids Bed (in corner): DIY by Mel’s Dad
- Master bed and bedside table: Bedshed
- Lamp on bedside: Freedom
- Woven trunk: Sage and Clare
- Weave on wall: Little Loom
- Throw: Kip & Co
- Button cushion: Onyx & Smoke
- Tassel cushion: Spell Designs
- Hydrangea Girl print: Pax & Hart
- Love print: Blacklist
- Fairy lights: Down to the Woods
- Love Heart light: DIY be Mel
- Cabinetry: Bunnings
- Round Mirrors: Ikea
- Leather handles: DIY using this tutorial by Hayley Gemma
- Towels: Target
- Heart tea towel print: Rachel Castle
- Beds: Snooze
- Bedding: Kip and Co
- Dolls on bed: Lucky Boy Sunday and MadeBySteph
- Ceramic planter: Turtle Frog
- Rug: Kmart
- Yellow sofa: IKEA
- Copper cushion: Freedom
- Dots on wall: Hard to Find
- House shelves on wall: Cotton On
- Sonny Angel shelves: Family Love Tree
Send us your own:
→ Share your home with Apartment Therapy: House Tour Submission Form
→ Are you a designer/architect/decorator? Share your residential project: Professional Submission Form.
→ And see all of our past house tours here
Updated daily with fresh tours full of photos for you to pin & enjoy!