Name: Adam Lopez, Owner of vintage clothing shop October 18th
Location: Echo Park, Los Angeles California
Size: 650 square feet
Years lived in: 1.5 years; Rented
Adam is one of the Angelenos lucky enough to have landed a rent controlled bungalow in the heart of the city. Centrally located in Echo Park, his home is a cozy one bedroom with plenty of space to house his art and vintage treasures. With quite a collection of rotating furniture, small goods, and a house full of pets, this cozy spot keeps Adam happy and inspired.
Adam's home has so much to look at — your eye will be kept busy scoping out every nook and cranny. Though he has many valuable things, he says the most significant of all is an authentic Native American hand painted fringe pouch that is family heirloom. "In Los Angeles we tend to socialize at home more often, so I like to create a warm and comfortable atmosphere," Adam explained. His living room offers a perfect spot to host friends and loved ones.
He also explained that he repainted the kitchen, part of a very specific vision for the look and feel of his space. His best advice when designing a space? "Never questioning yourself."
Apartment Therapy Survey:
My Style: Tailored homo vintage.
Inspiration: I am very lucky to have access to many vintage finds, as a result of the weekly buying trips I take for my vintage clothing shop Oct 18. On these trips I find inspiration in cultural artifacts, 1950s west coast jazz elements, and the male form.
Favorite Element: Hand made ceramics.
Biggest Challenge: Finding enough space for everything!
Proudest DIY: The lovely window bench that I found on the street — I upholstered it with a vintage Egyptian print tablecloth and replaced the legs with salvaged vintage pencil legs. My puppy and kitten love sprawling on it on a sunny afternoon.
Biggest Indulgence:The glass coffee table, because it’s a little too large for my space.
Best Advice: People always say less is more, but my motto is more is more!
Dream Sources: A quiet undiscovered desert town chock full of vintage treasures.
Resources of Note:
PAINT & COLORS
- living room is done in Bone White from Martha Stewart
- bedroom: sage
- kitchen: light mustard
- mid Century Inspired Couch from Macy’s
- ikea bookshelf used as bar with salvaged vintage pencil legs
- 1960s credenza found on sidewalk, I attached vintage pencil legs
- window bench was found on street, I ulpostered with vintage Egyptian print table cloth and replaced legs with salvaged vintage pencil legs.
- all other items are vintage thrift store finds
- I constructed my desk with pine and salvaged vintage hairpin legs
- mid century teak headboard bought at a yard sale in Brooklyn NY
- glass top 1950s night stands bought at goodwill
- curtains from urban outfitters
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE: Check out past house tours here.
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.
Updated daily with fresh tours full of photos for you to pin & enjoy!