Usually we get project submissions that have a certain linear progression: start with a beat-up original and make the appropriate changes. Well Annie works a little differently than most. She spotted some must-buy wallpaper and let the material influence the makeover. Any way you slice it, she still got some pretty stellar results.
That is stunning. We see why she fell in love with that gorgeous patterned wallpaper. And what a unique way to use it.
I came across this wallpaper (from Quercus & Co.) months before I found the dresser. Blue is my favorite color and the hand-painted tapestry design is beautiful. It reminds me of the quilts my mom makes. Knowing I wanted to use it in the future, I went ahead and ordered it. Then this dresser popped up on craigslist shortly after, so it seemed like kismet. The price was great around $20 and it came from a source we've used before and enjoy.
It required quite a bit of work though. Gluing, screwing, vigorous sanding, and drawer glide work to be exact. The wallpaper, so as not to be ruined, was trimmed and fitted just-so on the fronts to avoid damage from use which took some time. The milk paint is a custom shade I created with leftovers from other projects. It took a few tries to get the color I wanted. A few coats of hemp oil finished it off along with the original wooden knobs. Keeping those felt like the right thing to do on this one.
See more at The Wits.
Thank you Annie!