Dana & Brooks’ Painted Paradise
Can't-Miss House Tours Straight to Your Inbox
Keep up with our latest house tours each weekday with our House Tour of the Day newsletter
Follow Topics for more like this
Follow for more stories like this
When you’re married to an artist with a thriving decorative paint business, you tend to have a few custom finishes in your home. When you’re a design lover with a flair for blending patterns and textures, well that takes it to a whole new level.
Dana’s home is a palette of calming, soothing colors, which immediately puts you at ease. Which is great. Because when you’re the mother of twin 14 year olds, run a decorative paint business, and a successful PR firm, you need all the soothing you can get.
Everything looks fabulous in the proper light, and Dana’s house is no exception. Like the perfect wine with a fine meal, each lamp, chandelier, and sconce adds the perfect final touch to each room. From IKEA to vintage and antique, all of them blend together make each room its most attractive.
Personal touches, custom paint finishes, fantastic lighting, and Dana’s sweet personality come together in a truly lovely home, one that is at once homey and stylish.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
My Style: Eclectic, Modern Farmhouse
Inspiration: Emily Henderson, Brian Patrick Flynn, Gen Sohr, Brandy Adams
Favorite Element: Vintage Desk Lamps, Vintage Church Attendance Sign
Biggest Challenge: Updating our 1980’s home one room at a time on a limited budget.
What Friends Say: There are so many small details that you find everywhere you look in this house. Your home is comfortable and inviting.
Biggest Embarrassment: Our last house. When we bought that house 13 years ago my husband was just starting his decorative painting business. Every single surface had a painted or plastered finish, the walls, the cabinets, the vanities, the doors, the ceilings, the floors, the furniture. We have been much more intentional in this house to not overdo it with the painted and textured surfaces.
Proudest DIY: Our kitchen remodel. We updated the kitchen including removing the soffits, re-working the cabinetry, added tons of lighting, repaired the ceilings, and painted and glazed the cabinets.
Biggest Indulgence: Lighting. I am obsessed with having several different lighting sources in each room.
Best Advice: I follow all my favorite designers on Instagram. I am inspired each time I look at my feed. It’s also a great way to score one of a kind items. I follow lots of shops that sell right off of Instagram.
Dream Sources: Charish, 1st Dibs, Make + Model, Rejuvenation
Resources of Note:
PAINT & COLORS
All colors are Sherwin Williams unless otherwise noted and all trim color is Aesthetic White
- Hall and Entryway stripes: Worldly Gray and Aesthetic White (painted by Brooks)
- Big Stenciled Wall- Piano Room: Intellectual Gray and Aesthetic White (painted by Brooks) Contempo Trellis from Royal Design Studio Stencils
- Den: Amazing Gray
- Daughter’s Room: Alyssum Pink and Royal Design Studios Stencil Crème in Shimmer Pink (painted by Brooks)
- Son’s Room: Sea Salt
- Master Bedroom: Porpoise
- Office: Intellectual Gray
- Children’s Bathroom: Halycon Green rubbed finish over textured walls. Vanity is Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Duck Egg Blue (painted by Brooks)
- Kitchen: custom textured metallic walls- Cabinets are custom color mix and glaze (painted by Brooks)
- Guest bedroom: custom distressed foil treatment on the walls. Floor is stenciled in Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Duck Egg Blue and Old White (painted by Brooks)
- Front porch: Doors are Modern Masters Front Door Paint in Fortunate
- Bed is antique iron a barn sale
- Overhead light from Overstock
- Sconces from Lowe’s
- Lamp over desk is made from a vintage minnow basket
- Small dresser is from an estate sale (painted by Brooks)
- Big ship art is from a local antiques store
- Bedside wall units are corner pieces of a large entertainment unit (painted by Brooks)
- Art is wallpaper samples framed in IKEA frames
- Lamp from Target
- Wallpaper is original to the home
- Art is from a barn sale
- Dresser is from a yard sale
- Towel cabinet is from a yard sale
- Lamp is from home goods
- Dream tree, brass tray and Foo Dogs are from Make + Model
Thanks, Dana & Brooks!
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE: Check out past house tours here.
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.
Updated daily with fresh tours full of photos for you to pin & enjoy!