The Best Way to Declutter Your Busy Bathroom Efficiently
In most bathrooms, space is at a premium. Whether yours is small, you share it with others, or it lacks adequate storage space, it’s important to eliminate anything that takes up crucial real estate.
The best way to do so is to streamline the things currently taking up space, sort what to keep and what to get rid of, and then implement some storage solutions that’ll actually work for you.
Day 10: Declutter the bathroom.
We’re going to spend the day decluttering your busy bathroom as efficiently as possible. Set aside some dedicated time to complete this task and only work on the areas that apply to you.
Here’s where to look:
- On the vanity or countertop
- In the medicine cabinet
- Inside your makeup or toiletry bag
- Inside drawers
- Under the sink
- Inside the shower
- On shelves
- Inside standing or wall-mounted organizers
- By the trash can and toilet
Here’s what to look for:
- Expired medication, makeup, sunscreen, and lotions
- Empty or almost-empty products (get the dregs out and get rid of them)
- Stretched-out hair ties and broken bobby pins
- Unused makeup, skincare, and hotel toiletry items and samples
- Nail polish that’s duplicated, never used, or has separated
- Old toothbrushes you’ve kept “for cleaning,” but haven’t repurposed
- Any kits (like teeth whitening) you’ve never used
- Old, broken, or unused hair styling tools
- Duplicate items, such as hair tools, tweezers, nail clippers, eyelash curlers, etc.
- Anything you keep “for traveling,” but never pack
- Accessories for tools you don’t have anymore, like chargers and replacement toothbrush heads
- Hair accessories and jewelry you haven’t worn in more than a year
- Cleaning supplies that belong somewhere else
Once you’ve collected everything, go ahead and sort through what needs to be discarded or donated (move those to the outbox!). If you have more than one bathroom, focus on the one you use most frequently.
PRO TIP: Take this as your opportunity to implement some storage solutions while the space is looking sparse and neat. We love these finds from our Organization Awards, but you can also use items you already have at home, too.
What did you discover in your busy bathroom today? Tell us in the comments below.
More ways to participate in the Decluttering Cure:
- Sign up for email updates.
- Visit the 2023 Decluttering Cure page and catch up on assignments.
- Join the Apartment Therapy Cure Facebook group.
- Download the Decluttering Cure calendar.
- Check off that you’ve completed this task and track your overall Decluttering Cure progress here!
- See all the winners from our 2023 Organization Awards to get your home organized.
The Cure Program is a tradition here at Apartment Therapy — it happens every January, April, and September. Click here to learn more about the year-round program and when to sign up.