A Designer’s St. Louis Home Is PACKED With Color, Pattern, and Bold Decor Inspiration
Can't-Miss House Tours Straight to Your Inbox
Keep up with our latest house tours each weekday with our House Tour of the Day newsletter
Name: Leslie Sumner, her husband Brent, her daughter Rosemary, her son Oliver, cat (Yoda), and dog (Frankie),
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Years Lived In: 1 years, owned
This house might be big, but not an inch of it has been neglected when it comes to decor. In fact, every room in Leslie Sumner’s home tells its own story. The dining room is a tale of Chinoiserie and bold pops of color, the great room is a recital in ornate flourishes and a splash of punk, while her son’s bedroom is a refined exhibition of British and American pop and rock stardom. Even her powder room doesn’t hold back on the narrative, transporting guests to a tiger’s lair.
Leslie’s two-story home, which she shares with her husband Brent, her daughter Rosemary, her son Oliver, cat (Yoda), and dog (Frankie), is like a catalog of style choices for her interior design clients. In fact, she left the fashion industry to start her own business after she realized she wanted to take her longtime passion for DIY and decorating to a new level. “Every house we sold, the buyers would ask, ‘who’s your designer?” she says.
Taking beloved pieces from generations past, Leslie gives them a refresh with the help of Sucheta Bhide of The Resplendent Crow. Sucheta’s talent with lacquer has revived a number of prized pieces of furniture inherited from her grandmother—and Leslie, of course, isn’t afraid of getting creative with color and letting them each take on their own personalities.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
My Style: Eclectic meets fancy… I love gold! I love mixing old with new. Modern with ornate. I do not believe that a home has to have one certain style. I like to use them all.
Inspiration: My biggest influences are Chinoiserie and Hollywood Regency, but styled with more of a modern twist. I would like to think that Dorothy Draper would feel comfortable in my home.
Favorite Element: My daughter’s room. Like her, it has a big personality. To me it is a perfect little girl’s room that can evolve to meet her style needs as a young lady.
Biggest Challenge: Accessorizing the home. Because it is a larger home, there seemed to be a ton of dead space. I tried to work through this with plants. I absolutely love the look and feel of greenery in your home. I unfortunately tend to have a black thumb.
What Friends Say: That each room tells a story and has its own vibe. One friend once called my style quirky. I find that to be true. I’m not afraid to be bold and mix patterns with more patterns. I’m also not afraid of color; I try to add a pop in each space. While minimalism seems to be big in the design world, I believe more is more.
Biggest Embarrassment: The storage space. I am a wannabe Marie Kondo when it comes to organization and this space looks like a bomb went off in there. I literally do not allow anyone to see it.
Proudest DIY: Not necessarily my own DIY, but I have quite a few antique pieces in my home. I love the look of lacquered furniture and The Resplendent Crow helped me to achieve some of the best, most unique pieces in my home. Closest to my heart are the dressers and vanity that belonged to my grandmother and her mother before her. Also, the refinished Dorothy Draper España chests that I use as my nightstands.
Biggest Indulgence: My biggest indulgence is the Gucci Angry Tiger wallpaper in the powder room. When I saw it I knew I had to have it. It makes me smile every time I see it.
Best Advice: Go for it. Nothing is permanent in design. Be brave and bold and go for the patterns and colors that make you happy. Anything can be tweaked or changed.
PAINT & COLORS
- Sherwin-Williams, Entry and Office — Urbane Bronze
- Sherwin-Williams, Kitchen and Hearth Room – Agreeable Gray
- Sherwin-Williams, Oliver’s Room and Media Room – Gauntlet Gray
- Sherwin-Williams, Dinning Room – Naval
- All window coverings are custom from Sunshine Drapery.
- Light, Elk Lighting Boudreaux – Metro Lighting
- Rug – Williams-Sonoma (no longer available)
- Mason Desk – Williams-Sonoma
- Leather Desk Chair, vintage – Chairish.com
- Cheetah Desk Chairs, vintage – Chairish.com
- Pillows – Matthew Williamson for CB2
- Starburst Art – Williams-Sonoma
- Mason Bookcase – Pottery Barn Teen
- Rattan Elephant planter – Target Opal House
- Light, Kate Spade Dickinson – Metro Lighting
- Large Swirl Art – Williams-Sonoma
- Table – Jonathan Adler (no longer available)
- Table Runner – Matthew Williamson for CB2
- Chairs, Vintage (refinished by The Resplendent Crow) – Ebay
- Starburst Console Table – Williams-Sonoma
- Textile Art – HomeGoods
- Light Sconces, Kate Spade Castle Peak – Metro Lighting
- Lamp, vintage – Estate Sale
- Lamp shades (no longer available) – Anthropologie.com
- Foo Dogs, vintage – Estate sale
- Brass Peacock, Target Opal House – Target.com
- Brass Planters – CB2
- Wallpaper – Gucci
- Bamboo Mirror, Vintage – Estate Sale
- Hicks Light Pendants, Thomas O’Brien – Metro Lighting
- Counter Stools, TOV Tiffany Stool – Houzz
- Flower Market Cakestands, Teapot and Canisters – Mackenzie-Childs
- Ginger Jars, mostly vintage – Williams-Sonoma
- Kitchen Pulls, Lux Holdups – Etsy
- Kitchen Table – Williams-Sonoma
- Kitchen Chairs, Kartell Victorian Ghost Chairs – Perigold
- Bamboo Chandelier – Jonathan Adler
- Wallpaper – Wisteria by Cole and Sons
- Sideboard, Statements by J – Houzz
- Poodle Lamps, Currey & Company – Foundry Lighting
- Mirror, Vintage
- Sofa, Custom by modshop – modshop1.com
- Coffee Table, custom by modshop – modshop1.com
- Leather Chairs, Arhaus (no longer available)
- Gold Chairs – Wayfair
- Neon Cocktails Light – Wayfair
- Flower Watercolor – my Grandmother’s art
- Cheetah Print, vintage – Chairish
- Sectional – West Elm
- Coffee Table – West Elm
- Nesting Tables – Pottery Barn Teen
- Burl Wood Console – Williams-Sonoma
- Bar Stools – CB2
- Gold Floral Art – Williams-Sonoma
- Hanging Rattan Planter – Opal House for Target
- Van Gogh Skeleton – Houzz
- Dog Art – Drew Barrymore for Walmart
- Vintage Mirror
- 3-piece Asian Art – Drew Barrymore for Walmart
- Couch – Liberty of London by Anthropologie (no longer available)
- Cube Art – HomeGoods
- Shelving Unit – Ikea
- Rattan Chair, vintage – Chairish.com
- Mirrored Dresser – Wayfair.com
- Tiger Rug – Anthropologie
- Mirrored Star Bed – Tracey Boyd
- Night Stands, Dorothy Draper Espana – Refinished by The Resplendent Crow
- Vanity, Vintage – Refinished by The Resplendent Crow
- Dresser, Vintage – Craigslist
- Chairs – Antropologie (no longer available)
- Pixelated Portriats, Soicher Marin – Wayfair.com
- Sheepskin Bench – Brayden Studio Wayfair
- Bedding – Ballard
Thanks Leslie and family!