A lot pretty, a little creepy—this Venus Flytrap Fascinator is exactly the look we're going for this Halloween. Constructing this headpiece is less work than assembling a head-to-toe costume, but the look is still every bit as eye-catching. Watch the how-to video to see how it all comes together.
What You'll Need:
- 3 fascinator bases (ours are from Fancy Goods)
- Card stock
- Green and fuchsia felt (from the craft store, or check out Purl Soho's high-quality selection)
- Spray adhesive, such as Scotch Super 77
- Artificial butterfly (find a huge selection here)
- 12-gauge metal wire, like this Black Aluminum Decorative Wire, $4.50, from Michaels
- Metal hair clip
- Hot glue gun and sticks
1. Place the fascinator base on card stock, then trace 1/4-inch outside the perimeter of the base. Cut out the shape. Trace the shape onto fuchsia felt twice and cut out. Working in a well-ventilated area, spray one piece of felt with adhesive and attach to the inside of a fascinator base, smoothing out the fabric. Repeat with the second piece of felt and fascinator base.
2. Place the first template on card stock and trace 1/4-inch outside the perimeter, creating a slightly larger oval. Draw the flytrap's "teeth" along one side, then cut out. Trace onto green felt twice and cut out (as shown above).
3. Cover over the Venus flytrap's "teeth" with a scrap piece of paper, then spray the rest of the piece with adhesive. Attach to the outside of a fascinator base, lining the "teeth" up with one edge of the base. Repeat with the second piece of felt and fascinator base.
4. Let the two halves of the flytrap dry, then trim any excess felt, as shown above.
5. Hot glue the two halves to the third fascinator base, forming a clamshell shape, as shown in the first image. Hold each piece in place until it's secure.
6. Make the butterfly: Cut a 10-inch piece of wire. Bend one end of the wire 2 inches and glue it to the butterfly's body; bend the other end of the wire 1/2 inch and adhere to the end of a hair clip.
- Captivating Venus Flytrap Nails
- The World's Cutest Butterfly Dog Costume
- Halloween Eye Makeup in a Minute
Many thanks to Spoonflower for the blue sky backdrop, which is available as wallpaper, gift wrap & fabric from Koalalady's shop.