Now, this is what we call a couple's costume. You get a cute-yet-creepy Venus Flytrap Fascinator, your pooch gets a sweet set of monarch wings to go along with it. Crafted from lightweight felt that's looped right onto your pet's harness, this is a costume your dog won't mind prancing around in.
What You'll Need:
But First, Safety: Choosing a harness that fits your pet and that she feels comfortable wearing are the keys to this costume. You can also scale down the wings for your chihuahua or super-size them for your Great Dane.
1. Print out all templates. Tape two wing templates together to form a complete set. Using chalk, trace the template onto black felt twice; cut out.
2. Cut out wing section templates and trace onto yellow felt using a pencil. Flip all of the section templates over and trace again to make a mirror image set, as shown above. Cut out all pieces.
3. Glue yellow felt pieces onto one of the black felt wings, using the image above as a guide.
4. Bend wire around the perimeter of the other pair of black felt wings, securing in place with tape. Snip off any excess, and make sure that no sharp edges are sticking out.
5. Spray the wired pair of wings with adhesive (or brush on fabric glue). Top with the second set of wings, yellow pieces facing up, so that the wire is sandwiched between the two pieces of felt. Let dry completely, preferably overnight.
6. Attach the wings to your pup's harness: Wrap a 1-by-10-inch strip of black felt around the center of the wings and loop through the center strap of the harness. Secure with small pieces of Velcro.
Pair it with:
Many thanks to Spoonflower for the blue sky backdrop, which is available as wallpaper, gift wrap & fabric from Koalalady's shop.