How To: Dress a Platform Bed
When we made the switch from a plain old mattress and box springs to a platform bed, we started to change the way we made our bed. Before we had a duvet, and now we prefer using layers of quilts and blankets, neatly tucked and folded under the mattress to show off the bed’s clean, low-slung lines. This image (of the Hubert Modern Platform Bed at TREOmodern) shows the way that layers of bedding in the same family of colors can create a “striped” effect. Step-by-steps and more ideas below the jump.
How to Dress a Platform Bed:
• In the winter, use lots of layers to build up warmth. We use a sheet, blanket, quilt (and sometimes a throw).
• Start with a fitted sheet or flat undersheet.
• Lay the top sheet, blanket, and quilt on the bed.
• Position so that the layers hang evenly over each side of the bed.
• Turn down the top of the quilt so that a little bit of blanket shows at the top of the bed.
• Tuck the end of the sheet/blanket/quilt snugly under the end of the mattress, smoothing them flat against the platform.
• Repeat on the sides of the bed.
• If you have a little corner of quilt peeking out at the bottom of the bed, fold it under the end of the mattress.
• Fold a top throw into a long rectangle.
• Lay the throw across the mid-section of the bed, towards the end of the mattress.
• Tuck the ends of the throw smoothly underneath the mattress.
Fold the quilt back at both ends to create even more of a “striped” effect. Image: Design Within Reach
For a relaxed look, leave a throw blanket untucked across the bed. Keep the pillows simple. Image: Habitat Ireland
Create a super-crisp look with white blankets on white sheets. Image: 2Modern
A long bolster pillow highlights the horizontal lines of the bed. Image: Design Within Reach