Tracy & Kenny’s Retro Modern Richmond Ranch
Can't-Miss House Tours Straight to Your Inbox
Keep up with our latest house tours each weekday with our House Tour of the Day newsletter
Name: Kenneth Close and Tracy Wilson
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Size: 1,700 square feet
Years lived in: 2; Owned
With toys, turntables, colors that pop, and vintage posters that will make you long for the days of playing Pacman at the arcade, Tracy and Kenny’s 1961 ranch is modern, playful, and kitschy in all the right places.
The open floor plan allows for great views from all angles of Tracy and Kenny’s living, dining, and kitchen space, and there is certainly a lot to take in. Glancing along their heavily decorated walls, one gets a good sense of the Tracy and Kenny’s interests and influences. Music is one obvious influence—Tracy is a DJ, with her own record label, and the two are in a band together—and the role it plays in their lives is evident throughout their space. (Hello turntables in the dining room, and floor to ceiling shelves of records).
By forgoing a renovation and personalizing their space using only paint and furnishings, many of the original (and best) 1960s elements of their home still shine through, like the bright bathroom tiling, and paneled walls of the sunken TV room. Overall, Tracy and Kenny have created a fun space with an authentic retro modern aesthetic that doesn’t take itself too seriously.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
Our Style: Mod-Pop-Vintage
Inspiration: Color, Family / Friend art, Travel, Vintage
Favorite Element: The open floor plan combined with the bay window. Together they make way for incredible light that lasts throughout the day. Perfect way to start the day.
Biggest Challenge: Record storage. The one dedicated room is already near full. Since we are both music collectors…
What Friends Say: “Where do you find all of this stuff?”
Biggest Embarrassment: Closets. All organized chaos.
Proudest DIY: Book / Bar cart. It came from the Plan 9 warehouse and moved records around for years. When it arrived it was dirty and a nice shade of pale white.
Biggest Indulgence: Records/Books
Best Advice: Anything can hang on a wall. Seriously, anything.
Dream Sources: 1960s/1970s decorating publications
Resources of Note:
PAINT & COLORS
- Bedroom – Valspar : Café Ole / Valspar : Fresh Persimmons
- Kitchen – Valspar :Scarlet Sun / Valspar : Golden Promise
- Dining Room – Olympic : Winter’s Day
- Front Room – Valspar : Autumn Sky
- White display shelves – La Diff
- Panton curve art – fabric from Etsy DIY frame
- Other two art pieces made by Kenny
- Green chair – Cold Harbor Antiques
- Couch, Danish wooden chair , rug, white end table all came with the house!
- Green coffee table CB2
- Yellow cart – flea market
- Red chair – La Diff
- Yellow / orange chair – La Diff
- Floor lamp – West End Antiques Mall
- Red, white, and blue lamp – Cold Harbor
- End table light – Target
- Bar Cart – Plan 9 Records DIY project
- Cubist art – Rod Wilson (Tracy’s Father)
- Dining Room table and credenza came with the house
- DJ Table – Turntable Lab
- Map – Ike’s Underground
- Pendant Lamp – Normann
- Speaker table – Metro Modern
- Rolling island – Born Again Furnishings
- Faucet – Lowe’s
- Dishware / storage containers – gifts from friends, thrifting, flea markets, Ebay, Etsy
- Asian figures – gifted
- Toys – Toy Tokyo, Kid Robot, World of Mirth,
- Small Trays – eBay
- Mobile – Memphis
- Folding step ladder – Amazon
- New Order Poster – mom
- Book shelves – DIY painted
- Purple dresser – Ikea
- White dresser – La Diff
- Floor Lamp – Target
- White lamp – Ikea
- Record player – Dusty Groove
- Rug – Target
- Jacket – Mom made
- Sugarcubes piece – Kenny made
- Kid art – Adam Juresko
- Map – Verve Home Furnishings
- Archers of Loaf poster – Kenny made
- Sad Eyes – eBay
- Black Sabbath / MBV – Steve Keene
- Closet fabric – The Bazaar
- Dismemberment Plan poster – Aesthetic Apparatus
- Rug + towel – Target
- Record shelves, desk, and chair – Ikea
- Toys and records have been collected over decades from all over the world.
- Couch – Crate & Barrel
- Shadowbox – Brimfield Antique show
- Rug –Era Vintage
- Poufs – Futures Vintage
- Shelves – Various garage sales
- Treasure Chest – Hoboken Vintage
- End tables – Cold harbor
- Fake fireplace – Futures Vintage
- Tiger – Hoboken Vintage
- Kitch – eBay, Etsy, traveling the world
- Sad Eye paintings + toys – also represents decades of collecting from flea markets, thrift stores, gifts, and eBay
- Table – Stark
- Chair – La Diff
- Bedspread – gift
- Closet fabric – Cold Harbor
Thanks, Tracy & Kenny!
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE: Check out past house tours here.
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.
Updated daily with fresh tours full of photos for you to pin & enjoy!