IKEA Is Discontinuing Its Annual Catalog
Sad news from Sweden today: IKEA has announced that after 70 years of releasing its popular catalog, that the recently released 2021 digital catalog will be its last.
“For both customers and co-workers, the IKEA Catalog is a publication that brings a lot of emotions, memories and joy,” says Konrad Grüss, Managing Director, Inter IKEA Systems B.V. , in a press release. “For 70 years it has been one of our most unique and iconic products, which has inspired billions of people across the world. Turning the page with our beloved catalog is in fact a natural process since media consumption and customer behaviors have changed. In order to reach and interact with the many people, we will keep inspiring with our home furnishing solutions in new ways.”
The company says that it’s been testing new ways to distribute the contents of the catalog, while gathering insights from customers and retail locations, stating that “the IKEA Catalog has been less used” in recent years. At its peak in 2016, 200 million copies of the IKEA catalog were distributed in 69 different versions, 32 languages, and to more than 50 markets.
While a 2022 catalog will not be released in digital or print form, the retailer says that there will be a book celebrating the catalog, due out in fall 2021 that will be “filled with great home furnishing inspiration and knowledge.”
Check out Apartment Therapy’s IKEA catalog coverage:
- 5 Money-Saving Styling Tricks to Steal from the New IKEA Catalog
- 9 Clever Ways to Use Wall Space from the 2021 IKEA Catalog
- 7 Rooms in the 2021 IKEA Catalog That Bring the Calming Vibes You Need Right Now
- 7 Genius WFH Solutions From the 2021 IKEA Catalog
- 9 Brilliant Small Space Organizing Tips to Steal from the 2021 IKEA Catalog
- 9 Clever Hacks Hidden in IKEA’s 2021 Catalog
- 10 Living Room Items from IKEA’s 2021 Catalog That’ll Instantly Liven Up Your Space