Is There Anything I Can Do to Make This Small Room Look or Feel Bigger?
Can't-Miss House Tours Straight to Your Inbox
Keep up with our latest house tours each weekday with our House Tour of the Day newsletter
Small rooms can feel stifling. But you don’t have to knock a wall down to make a room feel and look larger than it actually is. There are design choices—both subtle and bold—that can actually make a room feel or look bigger than it is. Today’s Frequently Asked Home question: Is there anything I can do to make this small room look or feel bigger?
- Pick light wall colors that will expand the space.
- Hang mirrors across from windows so that light will bounce off them into the room and maximize as much light as possible.
- Choose leggy furniture instead of furniture that sits low to the ground.
- Paint bulky furniture the same color as your wall color to make it blend into the background.
- Play around with furniture arrangements and design details like curtain rod heights until you find just the right maximizing mix for your small space.
More advice on how to expand the look of a tiny room:
- How To Make Any Room Feel More Spacious
- 10 Tips To Make Any Small Space (Feel) Bigger
- 8 Sneaky Ways to Create the Illusion of More Space
- 5 Free Ways to Make Any Room Feel More Spacious & Look Better
→ Have your own FAHQ (Frequently Asked Home Question)?
Unlike our Good Questions (which are about very specific design dilemmas in your home, FAHQs are more general design questions that anyone might be wondering about home design. Ask your FAHQ in the comments below and we might answer it in a future post!