This 10-Step Bedroom Cleaning Guide Is the Key to Better Sleep
As the place you retreat to after a long day, the bedroom should be kept clean and dreamy for the best rest possible. To achieve this, you’ll want to incorporate blackout curtains, a comfortable mattress, and other sleep aids, as well as a go-to cleaning routine to spruce it up.
We’ve got you covered on that last part, so follow below for our step-by-step bedroom cleaning guide.
Day 13: Clean the bedroom and treat yourself.
Today is a clean and treat day, so make sure you pack in a reward, whether you want to get that before you start cleaning or after. Pick up some flowers or get a yummy treat, or whatever else makes you happy.
Set aside some time today, whether it’s half an hour or more, to clean your bedroom. You can also space out this assignment so you tackle some things today and over the weekend. When cleaning, you want to start from the top and work your way down.
Applying only what makes sense for your space, here’s what you’ll do.
- Pick up anything off the floor and take things off surfaces so when dust falls (the next step) it won’t be affected. Things like dirty clothes on the floor, books, cords, etc. should be dealt with.
- Dust with an extendable dusting tool from top to bottom. You’ll want to get the curtain rod, ceiling fan, light fixtures, curtains/blinds, window ledge, wall, TV, dresser, headboard, and nightstand.
- Clean the windows and mirrors.
- Strip the mattress and launder your bedding.
- Clean your mattress. Use a handheld vacuum cleaner and spot clean as needed.
- Wipe down surfaces, like your side tables and dressers.
- Vacuum everywhere, including the rugs and under the bed and tables.
- Put things back in their place.
- Remake the bed.
- If you have a trash can, empty it.
PRO TIP: Some mattresses should be flipped or rotated — and some should not! — to ensure there’s even wear. To find out if you should flip or rotate your mattress, consult the manual.
What did you treat yourself to today? Tell us in the comments.
More ways to participate in the January Cure:
- Sign up for email updates or SMS alerts
- Visit the 2024 January Cure page and catch up on assignments
- Join the Apartment Therapy Cure Facebook group
- Download the January Cure calendar
- Get organized with the 2023 Organization Awards
- Check off that you’ve completed this task and track your overall January Cure progress here!
The Cure Program is a tradition here at Apartment Therapy — it happens every January, April, and September. Click here to learn more about the year-round program and when to sign up.