An Actor’s Explosion of Color in 650 Square Feet
Can't-Miss House Tours Straight to Your Inbox
Keep up with our latest house tours each weekday with our House Tour of the Day newsletter
Name: Karen Racicot, actor and artist
Location: Parkdale, Toronto
Size: 650 square feet
Years lived in: 7 years, owned
Flamboyant French actor/artist Karen Racicot emphasizes the use of bold colors in every aspect of her style, right down to her hot pink Brita water filter. As an extensive world traveller, jewelry designer and painter, she set out to create a vibrant “living jewelry box” with her Westside condo. The endless colored glass ornaments, lampshades and wall hangings are the widest collection of treasures one could imagine under one roof — and not a single one comes without a tale of adventure.
Two of the four walls are made of glass and encompassed by a wrap-around balcony, allowing for the day’s light to bring this multitude of vibrant detail to life. Any artworks hanging in Karen’s condo that weren’t collected during journeys to Thailand, India or Mexico are pieces she created herself. With her motto being “More is more!”, she has created a space that is uniquely hers. Welcome to Karen’s color explosion!
Apartment Therapy Survey:
My Style: Colourful, eclectic, artistic, world.
Inspiration: Southeast Asia, India & Mexico.
Favorite Element: The 5 sliding doors that lead to the balcony, and my red Arne Jacobsen chair.
Biggest Challenge: Finding room to store my things in just 650 square feet of space.
What Friends Say: Wow!
Biggest Embarrassment: The non-existent bathroom door!
Proudest DIY: Painting & drilling in the concrete walls to install the floating shelves myself, and the two hanging stained glass pieces in the kitchen. The fact that my place is packed with stuff & it’s still feng shui.
Biggest Indulgence: Jewelry — I love stones! And my travels. And clothes. And perfume!
Best Advice: Follow your heart! Do what makes you happy.
Dream Sources: Milan. Roche-Bobois.
PAINT & COLORS
- Benjamin Moore – Magenta, Poppy, Red
- Guardian Angel – Oaxaca, Mexico
- Curtain – Ikea
- Rugs – Ikea
- Metal chair – Urban Barn
- Sofa – Cabinet
- Egg Chair by Arne Jacobsen – gift from my mother
- Chinese console – Rus-Teak
- Armoire – San Migel de Allende
- Dinning room table – Cabinet
- Buddhas – Thailand
- Glass balls – various local artisans
- Paintings – some by me, some by other artists
- Throw pillows – Mexico City
- Silver lamp – Ikea
- Stained glass lamps – eBay.com
- Red/orange side table – MaZone
- Wood two-drawer dresser – family heirloom
- Green Persian rug – eBay.com
- Red/Pink/white area rug – Ikea
- Coffee table – GH Johnson’s Trading Co. Ltd
- Mosaic desk – Los Angeles
- Carved wooden doorway frame – India