A Small NYC Apartment Shows How to Keep It Simple and Chic
Can't-Miss House Tours Straight to Your Inbox
Keep up with our latest house tours each weekday with our House Tour of the Day newsletter
Name: Sharon Ryan with dogs HipHop and Shirley
Location: Midtown East — New York, New York
Size: 800 square feet
Years lived in: 3 years, renting
As a professional interior and fashion stylist, Sharon Ryan knows a lot about adding flair to everything she touches. Her Manhattan apartment is no exception. When you walk in, you immediately sense a glamorous, Audrey Hepburn vibe, accompanied by a dash of playfulness.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
My Fashion Style: I’m inspired by Audrey Hepburn, Meghan Markle, The Olsen Twins, Jenna Lyons, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Chloe Sevigny
My interior style: Whimsical jewelry box, vintage vibe with modern touches. My friends nicknamed my home “The Lavender Palace.”
My inspiration: I like art, nature, shells, fairy tales, and feminine touches. Stores like ABC Carpet and Anthropologie Home inspire me. I like vintage shopping everywhere I visit. Designers I admire are Kelly Wearstler, Christian Liaigre, and Jonathan Adler
Favorite Element: My pink chairs. They were a gift from friends for my 50th birthday. They remind me of seashells. They make me so happy.
Biggest Challenge: Not to overdo my home, keeping it uncluttered and finding places for all the things I love so much. I’m a collector, so I struggle with saying that my home is complete. I continually want to add or subtract things. If I purchase something for my home, I try to let something go.
What friends say: My friends love the color of my home. It’s very soothing and changes shades throughout the day. It’s so beautiful.
Biggest embarrassment: I rely heavily on my landlord and he is such a gem. He always helps me when I ask him to fix something I’ve broken, like the dishwasher. I am useless in that department.
Proudest DIY: Changing light bulbs… like I said, I’m useless in that department.
Biggest indulgence: I love bedding so much! I like changing the mood of my bedroom often—so I have quite a collection of duvet covers, pillows, and quilts. I need to stop!
Best advice: If you aren’t sure about something—for instance, a purchase you’d like to make—ask a friend whose style you admire. My go-to person is my bestie and style guru Sandi Fellman. I love her taste! She puts things together so well.
Dream sources: ABC Carpet, Anthropologie, Beal & Bell, lighting stores on the Bowery, Palm Springs vintage shopping, The Real Real, 1st Dibs
- Console — IKEA
- Candelabra — Vintage find
- Candlesticks — Belleck china, vintage
- Animal print rug — Anthropologie
- Daybed — Anthropologie
- Pink Velvet Pillows — Amazon
- White Mongolian lamb pillows — Amazon
- Bird pillows — Pottery Barn
- Coffee table — 18th century Irish coffin, family heirloom
- Crystal candlesticks — collaboration -Lorae Russo & Lisa Kanning Interior Design
- Brass candlesticks — Palm trees: CB2, Pineapples: Anthropologie
- Coasters — Anthropologie
- Table runner — Amazon
- Rug — Rifle Paper Company (pale pink with birds and flowers)
- Lamp/tables — Both are vintage finds
- Lampshades — Restoration Hardware
- Floor mirror — Anthropologie
- White wall mirror — vintage find
- Desk — Matching piece to the coffin, 18th century family heirloom
- Artwork on desk:
- Rose print — Sandi Fellman
- Butterfly print — Sandi Fellman
- Figure with flowers — Chloe Sebaoun
- Desk cover — Amazon
- Candlesticks on desk — Collaboration- Lisa Kanning Interiors & Lorae Russo
- Luna lamp — Overstock
- Curtains — custom
- Pink stools — Wayfair
- Crystal vase with orchids — family heirloom
- White stool — West Elm
- Pink chairs — Anthropologie
- Headboard — vintage find
- Bed linens — Overstock
- Side table on left — Amazon
- Side table on right — vintage find
- Knobs — Amazon
- Trinket box — Anthropologie
- Heart box — vintage find
- Table lamps — vintage finds
- Armoire — ABC Carpet & Home
- Pink boxes — Amazon
- Baskets — Amazon
- Lucite book ends on top of armoire — family heirloom
- Scarves on doorknobs — vintage finds, Pucci & Hermès
- Pink rug — Amazon
- Red rug — vintage find
- Curtains — custom made
- Femme & Fierce Bathmat — Anthropologie
Thanks (Insert Name Here)!