Name: Lindsey Grissom
Location: Andersonville; Chicago, IL
Size: 1,400 square feet
Years lived in: 5 years; Rented
Lindsey has lived in her 3rd floor apartment for 5 years, but she’s lived in this same building, in Chicago’s Andersonville neighborhood for a good chunk of her life. She grew up in the 1st floor apartment where her parents still live, and now shares the 3rd floor with her two tortoises, Yurtle and Olive.
Lindsey left the state for college, and has lived in other Chicago neighborhoods, but the amount of time she’s lived in Andersonville has had a definite effect on the décor. The quaint Swedish neighborhood is known for having a large number of antique and resale stores. Lindsey has made a habit of frequenting these stores on the walk to and from her job, and much of her furniture was purchased from them.
Lindsey has a soft spot for mid-century modern pieces & Southwestern-style woven tapestries. The mint color that she chose to use in several of her rooms is a reflection of her personality: upbeat, cheerful and bright. It also matches the incredible light that streams into her apartment throughout the day.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
My Style: Mid-Century Modern, found and repurposed objects, friends' and my own art and craftsmanship, color.
Inspiration: The people around me, the places I’ve visited and lived. Mixed materials, textures, rawness, and color. The old and the new seaming together.
Favorite Element: I live at the treetops and get a lot of sunshine.
Biggest Challenge: Keeping my many windows clean.
What Friends Say: That they feel at home.
Biggest Embarrassment: I can’t afford a better couch because I spend all of my couch money on books.
Proudest DIY: The cherry coffee table I made while working at my father’s woodshop.
Biggest Indulgence: Books. Cloth napkins.
Best Advice: Your home should be your nest, built piece by piece. Let it grow organically. It’s far more fun and reflective of you.
Dream Sources: Cassona couch, anything from Scout, Turkey.
- I painted the apartment. All are Benjamin Moore colors.
- Couch: Brown Elephant
- Console: wine crates found in my alley, shelf added
- Rugs: Ikea
- Cherry coffee table: built by me
- Lamps: flea markets, Edison lamp is from Roost
- Pair of swivel chairs: Brown Elephant
- Wood side table: Randolph Street Flea Market
- Foot stools: one found, yellow one is from Roost
- Bookcase: Ikea
- Teal cabinet: found in alley and painted
- Pair of speaker stands: made by me
- Polish theater poster: flea market
- Black chairs: Ikea
- Table: garage sale for $1
- Pineapple chair: grandmother’s
- Mirror: grandmother’s
- Lamp: Ikea
- Credenza: Carlos and Sara’s Surplus of Options
- Basket: Alapash
- Island: Ikea
- Radio: Trivoli in walnut
- Space heater lamp: local artist
- Coffee service set: Randolph Street Market
- Cups and mugs: made by friends or me, collected, Fishes Eddy
- Glass container: Crate & Barrel
- Jade in red planter: Marguerite Gardens
- Bed: Ikea
- Dresser: Mint Home
- Cedar chest: made by my uncle
- Oak mirror: made by my uncle
- Bedding: Target, Ikea, Bed Bath & Beyond
- Circular mirror: grandmother's
- Painting: made by two personal friends
- Tapestry: London flea market
- Wooden side table: inherited from friend
- Draft table: Mercantile M
- Draft chair: Mercantile M
- Metal floor lamp: Ikea
- Metal typist's table: Mercantile M
- Rug: Ikea
- Table and chairs: Ikea
- Plants and planters: inherited and collected
- Wooden shelf: Ikea
Send us your own:
→ Share your home with Apartment Therapy: House Tour Submission Form
→ Are you a designer/architect/decorator? Share your residential project: Professional Submission Form.
→ And see all of our past house tours here
Updated daily with fresh tours full of photos for you to pin & enjoy!