Get the Look: Mamma Mia 2’s Gorgeous Grecian B&B
Ah, to see the world through the turquoise-colored glasses of Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again. Where a practically abandoned farmhouse can become a chic boutique hotel with some elbow grease and plucky attitude. Where the house band at your favorite bar is always on call. Where a trio of suitors is ready to welcome you to a beautiful scarcely populated island. It’s not a bad place to kick off your sandals.
It’s hard to pick a favorite spot on the island simply because they keep dancing from room to room and location to location. The local bar is adorable with its foliage murals and turquoise tiles. The hotel courtyard is bohemian and inviting.
But the space that captured my heart was Sophie’s bedroom (at 1:25 in the trailer above). You may notice that it recalls a couple items from Donna’s bedroom in the first film. Her blue decorative iron headboard and rocking chair make an appearance, but the room overall is more refined. It could be a conscious choice on the part of the set designer to reflect the maturity of Sophie or it could be that TripAdvisor reviews are not kind to technicolor establishments. Either way, the whole hotel is more sophisticated and pulled together.
The palette may be muted, but it’s classic. Turquoise, sea foam green, and natural linen make cozy bedfellows (as do Harry, Bill and Sam, I’m sure). Sophie paired light gray inlay night tables with feather table lamps for an eclectic and whimsical touch. Simple, thin white curtains rustle against the open window through which I’m sure she can see the olive tree lined courtyard with its string lights glittering, fighting only for attention with the sparkling ocean below. Honestly the best course of action for decorating in a location like that is to keep it simple and let the magic of the atmosphere do the rest.
Get the look
- Bed: Giselle II Metal Bed, from $266.49
- Nightstand: Bone Inlay Gray Nightstand, $498
- Rocking chair: 19th Century Campaign Rocking Chair, $2,850
- Lamp: Eos Table Lamp, from $198
- Blanket: World Market Frost Blue Knit Throw Blanket, $39.99
- Rug: Magnolia Home June Gray Rug, $99
- Fabric: Waverly Upholstery Fabric 54″-Sonnet Sublime Jewel, $15.99/yd
- Olive tree: Crate & Barrel Faux Olive Tree, $399
- Pillow: Grain Sack Cotton Throw Pillow, $98
- Curtains: Kohl’s 2 pack sheer curtains, $14.99
- Paint: Farrow & Ball Parma Gray, Farrow & Ball Blue Ground