A truly bittersweet tour for me - walking around Megan and Mike's lovely home knowing that boxes waited in the other room ready to pack up everything and officially close their Amsterdam chapter - made this a sad day, but a happy one knowing we shared some nice memories in this canal-side flat. I couldn't let them leave Amsterdam with out doing a final walk through and capturing some lovely images - showing their ability to make it look so effortless, while knowing that a lot of thoughtful work went into this home.
Megan and Mike did a fantastic job collecting unique art spaced out on their white walls, simple pieces and furniture from various cities ranging from New York, Paris, London, their home of South Africa and finally Amsterdam. The flat is incredibly sleek, simple, subtle and true to it's form. Well done!
Apartment Therapy Survey:
My Style: Currently our aesthetic is minimal and contemporary with touches of vintage/up-cycled pieces.
Inspiration: Piet Boon, Joseph Dirand, Vincent Van Duysen to name a few. Local Dutch design and living in Amsterdam.
Favorite Element: Our rocking chair - love sitting there and gazing out over the canal.
Biggest Challenge: Sticking to budget!
What Friends Say: Love your sofa! (It's huge and can seat a lot of people)
Biggest Embarrassment: Really stuck on this one...
Proudest DIY: We made the orange cord wall light in Finley's room and the glass globe in the living room.
Biggest Indulgence: The sofa!
Best Advice: Don't be hasty to fill a gap.
Dream Sources: Yatzer, Convoy, Pinterest, Living in Amsterdam
Resources of Note:
- Desk - Elkorn
- Vases - Noordemarkt and flower market on Harlemmerstraat
- Sofa - Friday Next
- Chairs - Robin Sluijzer
- Rocking chair - Neef Louis
- Floorlamp - Flos
- Black steel side table - Piet Boon
- Crates - Market in London
- Table - Singel 91
- Pendent - Friday Next
- Chairs - Project 99
- Beanbag - Fatboy
- Chappies artwork - Andrew Whitehouse
- Long print - Ugo Gattoni
- Hairy apple artwork - Sarah Elenberg
- Kitchen stools - Noordemarkt
- Skin rugs - Market in London
- Finley's crib - Stokke (generously given to us by good friends)
- Drawers and sleeper couch - IKEA
Thanks, Megan, Mike and Finley
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE: Check out past house tours here.
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.