Name: Freelance writer/director Michael Holbrook Moss, his youngest daughter, Adrian, little dog Peanut and lab Zoe.
Location: Barton Hills — Austin, Texas
Size: 1950 square feet
Years lived in: 14 — owned
With cool blues music pouring out of a stereo from a gorgeous wall of built-in cabinets and surrounded by vintage furniture finds, we immediately felt at home in the house of talented writer and director Michael Moss. We were struck by the perfect balance of cool and hip pieces mixed with a comfortable, laid back feel.
We might have "Mid-Century Modern" in the title and the house might have plenty of great MCM gems, but this home doesn't feel like any sort of museum. It's warm, welcoming and all the cool furniture in there is used and enjoyed. We love the changes in level that occur throughout the house that really introduces you to different spaces as you step down a few steps and then back up, and we love all those windows that let lots of sunshine in. The color palette and design scheme really come from the found pieces that, because they're all from a similar era, just seem to flow together so well.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
My style: Modern but not militant.
Inspiration: Music and martinis. Idealized Manhattan apartments in 1960s dramas and comedies. Clothes to match.
Favorite Element: My office.
Biggest Challenge: Hairy and stinky dogs.
What Friends Say: Wow, this is so cool!
Biggest Embarrassment: My behavior.
Proudest DIY: Tearing out two walls separating the dining room from the living room.
Biggest Indulgence: Custom made, built-in cabinets made by my friend Adam.
Best Advice: Don't have anything you're afraid of scratching or staining.
Dream Sources: Music and martinis.
Resources of Note:
- • Sears
- • Breed and Company
- • My ex-girlfriend
• Vintage stores
- • Home Depot
RUGS & CARPETS
- • Skandinavian (from an ex-girlfriend)
TILE & STONE
- • Real brick.
- • Try to avoid them.
- • Original photography Keith Carter
• Original photography John Langford
• Original photography Michael Moss
- • Sherwin Williams
Images: Adrienne Breaux
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE Check out past house tours here
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.