Scott’s Sea & Surf Inspired Silver Lake Rental
Can't-Miss House Tours Straight to Your Inbox
Keep up with our latest house tours each weekday with our House Tour of the Day newsletter
Name: Scott Diorio and his dog, Scrappy
Location: Silver Lake- Los Angeles, California
Size: 595 square feet
Years lived in: 6 years; Rented
As a native of Southern California, Scott grew up on a “steady diet” of skate and surf culture, with the beach, native elements and Latin culture in the mix. These are the aesthetics that play a huge role in the evolution of his apartment. We originally visited this little Silver Lake duplex back in 2009, but now, years later, I wanted to show what gradual changes Scott has made as he’s come to love his home even more.
When designing a home, Scott feels that the most essential part is to have a place with a lot of available light and to really make great use of space. “That doesn’t imply the space needs to be big, however! It’s amazing what you can do with a small space if you think strategically.” Also, he believes that from an aesthetic point of view it’s important to find elements that inspire you and work in the home itself. “Places, spaces, sounds, time period, moments…. let it happen organically, and that may take time. Incorporate your lifestyle into the design of the house. It helps to personalize it and make it more organic, rather than trying to copy just one particular genre. I like that everything in my place has a story how I found it or was given to me. It makes me cherish it that much more.”
Scott finds significance in every detail of his home. Each room was a project within itself. He believes a major factor is the use of color. “The colors in each room were deliberate, based on energizing or calming attributes. I’m a big believer of color therapy, and how it affects mood. I also love to have lots of plants. I love being surrounded by living things.” Los Angeles lifestyle plays a major role in his personal design preference, too. “I think the colorfulness definitely speaks California.”
Apartment Therapy Survey:
My Style: Californian Bohemian. Lots of color. I strive for mid-century modern, yet rustic and sea/surf lifestyle inspired. I’m always looking for a seamless way to mix old and new.
Inspiration: Travels to Central America, growing up in the California beach/surf lifestyle, and mixing all sorts of textures (plants, textiles, varying woods, metals). The people I’m around tend to inspire me as well.
Favorite Element: The living room. I just love my laying on my sofa while the windows are open and looking out to the yard. I guess I should say the yard as well! It was a big selling point when I found it.
Biggest Challenge: Working with the small space. There are only so many layouts, given the layout of doorways and windows, that optimize the space well! Some work well to make it feel much bigger, but others could make it much smaller. I’m always looking for ways to make the space feel spacious, given the size.
What Friends Say: They usually get so comfortable they never want to leave! That there’s something very “broken-in” and comfortable. I’d like to think the vast amounts of natural light and plants make a big impression.
Biggest Embarrassment: I have some unfinished patching to do, paint to go over in places. I think I see these things much more than my guests, since I’m my biggest critic! I’m always looking for ways to fix, improve, or enhance.
Proudest DIY: Probably the light fixtures, and finding clever ways to inject color, like painting the fan blades.
Biggest Indulgence: The furniture. It wasn’t cheap, but I did hunt and get fantastic deals on each piece, so in a way I still was thrifty. I still love all of it as much as the first day I bought each piece.
Best Advice: Don’t wait for your dream home to make a place your own. Make your home something that makes you feel good to be there.
Resources of Note:
PAINT & COLORS
- Paints were provided by landlord as is!
- Shelves: Tema Domino Shelving: Plushpod, Los Angeles.
- Sofa: Living Room: Silver Lake
- Tendo Mokko rocking chair: eBay
- Danish modern chair: Craigslist
- Eames chair: eBay
- Steel Tanker Desk: Craigslist
- Pillows: Etsy
- Coffee Table: DIY. Top from Goodwill ($40!) and hairpin legs found on ebay.
- Light fixtures: Ikea, flea markets, ebay, craigslist
- Tapestries: ebay, etsy, travels, gifts.
- Misc: shells collected from travels
- Saarinen table: Craigslist
- Marcel Breuer chairs: Craigslist
- Panton Light fixture: eBay
- Sarah Morris print: AllPosters.com
- Mickey Myers print: ebay
- Other wall art: thrift stores and flea markets
- Coffee Mugs: RS Handmade, Los Angeles
- Bed: Against the grain: Living Room, Silver Lake
- · Pillows: Etsy, Unison
- Dresser: Against the grain: Living Room, Silver Lake
- Nightstand: Against the grain: Living Room, Silver Lake
- Mirror: Rose Bowl Flea Market
- Rya rug: ebay
- Shower curtain custom made out of (out of print) Marimekko fabric.
- Beach print: local craft fair
- · Panton prints: ebay
- Panton lamp fixture: ebay
- Wall airplant: airplantman.com
- Vintage barometer: thrift store
And thanks to Kristen Hettich for connecting us and urging us to revisit this house tour.
(Photos: Bethany Nauert)
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE: Check out past house tours here.
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.
Updated daily with fresh tours full of photos for you to pin & enjoy!