Sharon & Chris’ Monochrome Wonder
Name: Sharon, Chris, Julian and Larry (the dog)
Location: Greenwich Village
Size: 1080 square foot 2-bedroom coop
Years lived in: 1
Sharon is a fashion designer and her husband Chris is a developer and contractor. So, she wanted to go for a completely individualized look and he wanted to ensure re-sale potential. The result is great bones, and solid materials, with the most gorgeous and romantic flourishes.
When Sharon and Chris bought this apartment, it was one big black box — an 80’s bachelor pad by and for a pretty well known interior designer. Perhaps in reaction to the solid black, and perhaps because Chris and Sharon were united in their desire for a home that was also a retreat and respite, they put up walls and created as light a space as possible. It was Sharon’s idea to paint all the walls in the apartment the same light shade of gray. It was Chris’ idea to include as many storage opportunities as possible.
The renovation took almost a year because of all the time Sharon and Chris spent accommodating the schedules of sub-contractors who did them favors. A lot of the materials in the apartment were salvaged from Chris’ other jobs. Sharon was very pregnant but persistent in her research — unrelenting until she found the perfect fixture, material, accessory, etc.
Every aspect of the home screams indulgent comfort without being at all ostentatious. It feels so good to be there and there’s nothing wrong with that after a long, full day enduring the hustle and bustle of New York City!
Apartment Therapy Survey
Style:: Tranquil, warm and minimal with the occasional glam flourish.
Inspiration: Belgian interiors, 70’s modern interiors & furniture and Blanco Goya marble. Our bathroom was inspired by Turkish hamams.
Favorite Element: Goya Marble custom bathroom trough sink and mosaic walls…..all our bookshelves…large windows…
Biggest Challenge: Could always use more space…
What Friends Say: Everyone always loves the color — nimbus grey — of the entire loft.
Biggest Embarrassment: My husband’s gigantic TV.
Proudest DIY: Demolition!
Biggest Indulgence: The size of our bathroom!
Best Advice: Let your wife choose everything!
• Couch — ABC
• Coffee Table — vintage Lombardo (our in laws!)
• Moroccan rug — Imports from Marrakesh
• Poufs — John Derian.
• All silver — vintage
• Side table — Saarinen/Knoll
• Pillows — Wolf home
• Lamp — DWR
• Black leather chairs — White on White
• TV and Music — JD audio
• Custom bookshelves/cabinetry — MJL Custom cabinetry and woodworking
• Walnut Wood floors through out by Rappaport Wood Flooring.
• Table — Brocade Home
• Dining Chairs — Knoll custom
• Chandelier — vintage
• Lamp — vintage
• Decanters — vintage
• All Silver — vintage
• Custom Cabinetry — MJL Custom Cabinetry and woodworking
• Side tables — Room and Board
• Bedding — William Sonoma and Belgian Haus Linen
• Lamps — customized 😉 West Elm
• Credenza — ikea
• Silver — vintage
• Closets — MJL Custom Cabinetry and woodworking
• Trough Sink and Mosaic — Mosaic Creations
• Floors and walls — Walker Zanger
• Faucetry — Dornbracht from Hardware design
• Custom cabinetry — Northern Valley Kitchen and Bath
• Tub — Kohler
• Steam shower — Mr. Steam
• Towels — The White Company — London
• Pendant Lamp — Niche Modern
• Wall lamps — Circa lighting