Sherry & Dana’s “The New Modern” Home
Can't-Miss House Tours Straight to Your Inbox
Keep up with our latest house tours each weekday with our House Tour of the Day newsletter
Name: Sherry Joniff-Solomon and Dana Solomon — Owners of 22 Bond St.
Location: West Hollywood, California
Size: 1,300 square feet (main house) + 300 square feet (pool house)
Years lived in: 10 Months
Follow Topics for more like this
Follow for more stories like this
My favorite interior design inspirations are homes that have creative solutions for limited space. With under 1,500 square feet and a baby on the way, Sherry and Dana were on the fast track to renovate their new home. Because both Sherry and Dana work in interior design, they had a few tricks for giving the space the illusion of a larger luxurious home.
They wanted to fit a large bed in the master bedroom and turn it into a master suite. The existing room was very dark and not as spacious as they would have liked. Their solution was to install a glass window, which looked into the master bathroom and allowed for natural sunlight. Another insider’s trick to giving the illusion of more space is to incorporate oversized furniture pieces that command the space. It would seem that the pieces would enclose the room even more, but surprisingly it produces just the opposite effect. Also, by giving the exterior landscaping and design just as much importance as the interior design, the inside-outside living areas merge into one space.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
Our Style: “The New Modern” — a term coined by 22 Bond St. to reflect old school London and Paris with a rock n’ roll twist of Industrial Modern Glam.
Inspiration: European Boutique Hotel Resort: manicured luxury, despite limited spaces
Favorite Element: Reclaimed wood (mahogany) with industrial steel
Biggest Challenge: The small spaces and narrow living room.
What Friends Say: “OMG, can I move in?” “Who needs to go away on a vacation?!” “It’s a private resort!”
Biggest Embarrassment: We have to design a chic cover/wall for our pool equipment, which is currently exposed.
Proudest DIY: The front and backyard landscaping. We covered all the dirt with gravel, so our dog wouldn’t track dirt into the house.
Biggest Indulgence: An 8 person “spool” (spa + pool) and Croc-etched Black CaesarStone Fireplace facade
Best advice: First, find the energy flow of any space.
Dream source: 22 Bond St.
Resources of Note:
FURNITURE, ACCESSORIES & LIGHTING
- 22 Bond St.
- Custom Upholstered Goods
- European Reclaimed Wood Case Goods
- All Oil Paintings: Sherry Joniff-Solomon
TILES & STONE
- Home Depot: Mosaic Marble Tiles in the Pool House
- Melrose Carpet Custom Drapery
- GE Monogram Sub-Zero Refrigerator
- GE Monogram Wine & Beverage Refrigerator
- GE Monogram Professional Dual Oven Range w/ 6 Burners + Double Grill
- Samsung Front Load Washer & Dryer
Thanks Sherry & Dana!
Images: Bethany Nauert
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE Check out past house tours here
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.