The hype is the well-deserved; Netflix's summer smash rom-com 'To All the Boys I've Loved Before' is sticky sweet, like cotton candy, perfect for when you're in the mood for a burst of flavor—or color, as is the case for the design. Much like Lara Jean's love life, her room is whimsical…and messy. A true romantic's safe haven.
As many 16-year-olds can relate, this is the stage of your life when you start making your own money so you want to control the design of your room, but you have very little money so it's a lot of thrift store finds, creativity and elbow grease.
Go to your nearest hardware store and start swatching green and blue paints. They are the base of the room palette, with the hand-painted mural behind her bed being the eye-catching star. The production designer, Paul Joyal, said he thought Lara Jean would have painted it herself. If painting and drawing isn't your strong suit, don't worry—you can purchase chinoiserie-inspired wallpaper.
Find a bright emerald green within the "mural you painted" and use it to paint the other walls in the room. Now you're basically in a garden. String up a few fairy lights and you've got the ideal place to daydream about your crush.
The furniture is a lot of upcycled thrift store pieces. Your best bet is scouring sites like Etsy and Craigslist to find unique treasures and touch them up where needed. If you're looking for instant gratification, you can certainly find similar items from online retailers (ahem, links below)—you'll have to shell out some more cash, but you will barely even have to lift a finger.
The bed is a classic iron frame with curves and flowers woven into its spindles. Layer duvets and pillows with pinks and yellows are their dominant colors to make it pop against your blue-green walls. The lighting is unapologetically whimsical. I mean, fringe lampshades don't exactly say understated elegance. They are for the fabulous at heart only. Pinks and orange shades will cast a flattering glow, with embroidered embellishments adding an extra dose of whimsy.
For storage, pick up a couple leaning bookshelves to be your workhorse pieces, while your curio cabinet and vintage style vanity can focus on showcasing your favorite items and collections (of love letters, perhaps?). They don't typically come in the soft teal and butter yellow, so consider purchasing an inexpensive piece and painting with the perfect color than you custom select.
After all of that decorating and upcycling, you deserve to have someone take you out for a milkshake and fries.
Get the look
- Bed: Calana Headboard And Footboard, $349.99
- Bedding: Anthropologie Tahla Quilt, from $168
- Wallpaper: Burke Decor Almond Blossom Wallpaper, from $105
- Desk: PBteen Chelsea Desk, sale from $879
- Desk chair: Carolina Solid Wood Dining Chair, $185.23
- Lamp: Meyda Fabric Fringe Table Lamp, sale $232.20
- Curio cabinet: Federal Curio Cabinet, $199.99
- Hanging chair: Anthropologie Knotted Melati Hanging Chair, $698
- Curtains: Bombay Sheer Window Curtain Panel, from $39.99
- String lights: Indoor/Outdoor Weatherproof Party String Lights, $19.99
- Paint colors: For wall: Benjamin Moore Kelly Green 2037-30; For desk drawers: Benjamin Moore Blushing Bride 2086-50; Benjamin Moore Deep Carnation 2086-40; Benjamin Moore Razzle Dazzle 1348