Name: Vahan Petrossian
Location: Melrose District; Los Angeles, California
Size: 700 square feet
Years lived in: 8 months
Vahan is like many Angelenos who prefer to live in a small home or bungalow instead of a typical apartment building. He found his place by mistake, but all it took was walking through the living room and Vahan was sold. An added bonus was all the windows and the greenery seen through the windows.
I don't know that you can really put a name on Vahan's style. After trying to decide what to call his style, we landed at "California confused." There are moments of Mid-Century, many of grandma's antiques, a very cabin feel, taxidermy, a large watch in the dining room, and a crazy cowboy theme happening in the bathroom. It all works together — it is the eclecticism and collections that give this home personality and life. And don't forget to look behind the plants — you might just find miniature chairs and a camel hiding in the corner.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
My Style: California confused.
Inspiration: Grandma's house.
Favorite Element: The vaulted ceiling in the living room... oh, and I was always Fire when we played Captain Planet & The Planeteers.
Biggest Challenge: Convincing my partner to let me buy my kitchen table. He had doubts, but I see him smile at it every time we sit down for a meal.
What Friends Say: "Throw the lava lamp away!"
Biggest Embarrassment: Not crazy about the mismatched tile kitchen countertops. One might say my bathroom curtains.
Proudest DIY: Banana leafing whatever I could in my bedroom.
Biggest Indulgence: My collection of camels.
Best Advice: "Look at this stuff... isn't it neat? Wouldn't you think my collection's complete?"
Dream Sources: Luxe & Cat Fancy
Resources of Note:
- Sofa - Organic Modernism
- Fireplace - eBay
- Bar cart - antique store in Joshua Tree
- Camel marquee light - self-made
- Cowhide - Ikea
- Wooden trunk - Cost Plus World Market
- Brass bugs - antique store in Akron, Ohio
- Duckling taxidermy - Gold Bug in Pasadena
- Wood floor lamp - put out with someone's trash
- Gold banana - Jonathan Adler
- Camel print foot stool - Fab.com
- Boat moment - Rose Bowl Flea Market
- Table - Hernandez Furniture
- Dining chairs - Antique store in Covina
- Gold watch - Rose Bowl Flea Market
- Trojan moment - Rose Bowl Flea Market
- Artwork - "Yosemite" by Katherine Bingley
- Cabinet - CB2
- Bowl - Jonathan Adler
- Blue tea set - Of the many things I took from my mother's place
- Wardrobe with self-modified door handles - Sunbeam Vintage
- Curtains - Self-made
- Stacked trunks - Goodwill
- Lava Lamp - Spencer's
- Bug door knob - Anthropologie
- Horse paintings - Goodwill
- Horse heads - HomeGoods
- Towel rack - Estate sale
- Artwork - "Tchaikovsky" by Derdad Aghamalian
- Camel skull - Necromance
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE: Check out past house tours here.
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.
Updated daily with fresh tours full of photos for you to pin & enjoy!