Name: Lesley Pennington and her family (husband, a teenager and a dog)
Location: Viggbyholm, Sweden (Just outside of Stockholm)
Size: 240 square meters
Years lived in: 3 years
Before the Pennington family acquired this property three years ago, this was the home of a famous Swedish textile designer. Nearly 100 years old, the house's connection to textiles lives on: Lesley is founder and CEO of Bemz, "a Scandinavian design company that creates custom covers for IKEA sofas, chairs and more." In this home, the layering of each textile, pillow or rug adds to the story of this historic space. But it's not just the textures inside that impact this home's lovely design—views of nature play a huge role, as well.
In Stockholm, seasons change almost by the hour. Respect for the environment is ingrained within the culture; nature is an integral part of life for each dweller in this land.
With stunning views of the sea, this typical Swedish archipelago cottage encapsulates the vintage feel of Sweden while balancing modern furniture and embracing beautiful views of nature. Large windows frame seasonal changes, but light also pours in, seamlessly melding the inside and outside.
This comfortable, calming house is enveloped in fresh, modern white, but soft furnishings in bold patterns and colors break up the neutral backdrop. Meaningful accessories, vibrant art and carefully chosen furnishings create a warm and inviting home.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
Our Style: Eclectic—I love mix of old and new, designer and flea market, colours, textiles.
Inspiration: Swedish nature, Scandinavian style
Favorite Element: The house faces south—facing the sea and the sun. Big windows face the sun, and the sunlight streams in to the house all day. A cosy porch off the living room means we can move outside easily whenever it’s warm enough to be outside (which for Swedes means over 5 degrees)
Biggest Challenge: Decorating to suit our family lifestyle, and making sure that this is a sanctuary for all of us—a teenager, a dog, a husband and me.
What Friends Say: “The light”. It’s so light and open…
Proudest DIY: The garden. I was a city kid.
Biggest Indulgence: Our dining room table.
Best Advice: Live in a place for a while and start to feel how your family uses the space. Decorate to make your friends and family feel at home. Be true to yourself. Don’t be afraid to recycle old furniture that doesn’t fit into the space and discover new “recycled” furniture to replace it. Use textiles to redecorate in a conscious way—without throwing furniture out.
Dream Sources: 20th century designers—Swedese, Eames, Bruno Mathsson, Piet Hein, Harry Bertoia, IKEA,
- IKEA Karlstad Sofa, Bemz Sofa Cover Brera Fino Noir Designers Guild
- IKEA Karlstad sofa, Bemz Sofa Cover in Sandhamn Stripe, Black and White
- Cushions: Bemz Respect White Herringbone, Christian Lacroix, Bemz Respect Black Herringbone, Designers Guild Orange Tie Dye, H&M Zig Zag Print
- HAY coffee table
- Diamond Chair by Harry Bertoia with cushion cover in Bemz Respect Herringbone
- Bruno Munari Lamp- DesignTorget
- Painting- lauritz.com
- artemide tolomeo lamp
- 'Super Circle' Table By Piet Hein And Bruno Mathsson
- Eames Chairs
- Antique Chinese Cupboard purchased at blocket.se
- Antique side table with marble top purchased at Bukowskis
- Painting purchased at Vårsalongen in Stockholm
- Louis Poulsen lamp
UPSTAIRS FAMILY ROOM
- IKEA Soderhamn sofa with Bemz cover in Tegnér Melange Real Red
- Hay bookshelf
- Eileen Gray coffee table
- Bedcover: Bemz Chenille Rose
- String Wall Unit
- IKEA Mysinge sofa with Bemz cover in Tegner Melange Rose
- Rug IKEA
- Bedskirt- Bemz Brera Lino Natural by Designers Guild
- Bedside table from Hay
- Table and chairs by Grythyttan
- Outdoor sofa
Send us your own:
→ Share your home with Apartment Therapy: House Tour Submission Form
→ Are you a designer/architect/decorator? Share your residential project: Professional Submission Form.
→ And see all of our past house tours here
Updated daily with fresh tours full of photos for you to pin & enjoy!