Renters like nice things too! And, thankfully, each year more and more products emerge that are removable and won't jeopardize your security deposit when you move out. So, you can fix up your space temporarily and not sacrifice style. Here are ten rental-worthy products —all adhesive — to consider.
1. Wallpaper Lining: Audrey from This Little Street swears by this product, and uses it as a liner on the wall, before applying a second layer of decorative wallpaper. She says it smooths out any uneven surface, and is strippable when you move out. It also seems like a good solution when you want to use regular non-removable wallpaper, but can't in a rental.
2. Double-sided Carpet Tape: Use this adhesive tape to hold down temporary flooring (as Daniel tried with rubber sheets in his kitchen, above), or for carpet tiles, stair treads. There's also a product called Hold-It Adhesive specifically for rugs on hard floors.
3. Peel and Stick Tile Sheets : I spotted these at Home Depot, and thought they looked interesting — especially the white subway and hex designs. You can install them over other tile and, when it's time to take them down, you aim a hairdryer in their direction, and the heat helps pry them off. There are tons of reviews over on the website, so read those first to see if they are right for you.
4. Window Film: You can be as plain or as decorative as you want to be with static cling or adhesive film for privacy and decoration. Basics are available at Lowe's and Amazon, and more decorative versions can be found at the Scandinavian Design Center and Emma Jeffs.
5. Self Adhesive Floor Underlayment: Elastilon is an elastic pad you can use as a base for temporary floors —including hardwood and vinyl, without the need for nails or glue. It also muffles sound. Whether or not you want to invest in temporary floors is another topic, but if you do, this seems worth some further investigation.
6. Vinyl Wood Plank Flooring: We used this for Joseph's budget bathroom makeover, and it made a huge difference in the look and feel of the room. It comes in long strips, which look more like a real hardwood floor versus tell-tale square adhesive tiles, and stick to each other and float on top of the existing floor. Read more about this vinyl adhesive flooring, along with installation instructions here:
7. Command Wall Hooks and Frame Hanging Strips: If you aren't familiar with these, you should be. Inexpensive and strong, they are a great way to hang artwork and mirrors, without damaging the wall or leaving holes.
8. Removable Contact Paper: There are all sorts of contact paper and shelf liners out there, but this one lets you turn any surface into a chalkboard. Use it as a sheet, or cut out shapes as wall decals, and reposition if needed.
9. Tile Tattoos: Temporary decals are for unsightly or boring tiles, designed specifically for kitchens and bathrooms. They come as solids, or decorative patterns. You can buy standard sizes, from places like Stick Pretty and Etsy. There's also Beautiful Wall Decals and Spin Collective for the Brits.
10. Washi Tape: And for smaller jobs, don't forget the little Japanese marvel that is washi tape. It's inexpensive and bold, and totally fun. Use it to dress up furniture, your walls, or anything else you can think up. And it peels off in no time.
11. Temporary Wallpaper: We've written about removable wallpaper before as a way to get in on the fun, without the frustration that comes with stripping it off later. Popular sources are Spoonflower (which you can also customize with your own design, and get just the amount you need), Betapet, Hygge and West, and Tempaper. It's also great for kids rooms.
12. Temporary, Paintable Removable Wallpaper: This product is from Tempaper, who sells "Tempaper By You" for around $56 per roll. The label says it's a "self-adhesive, repositionable, removable, wall canvas" so we tested it out:
Watch This Company Make Custom Wallpaper
So, those are some of our favorites. Do you have any other go-to products to add to the list?
Re-edited from a post originally published 7.21.2014 - DF