Yesterday we wrote about how to set up a multi-functional workout space, which included putting wheels on our ottoman so that we can move it out of the way easily when it's time to jazzercise. Here's how we did it.
What You Need
1. Ottoman: Ours was $99 at Homegoods
2. 4 Casters: Approx. $5 each from Home Depot. We went with plain old casters that don't lock, but if you are worried about your ottoman moving around too much then invest in some lockable ones. For more sources, check out our Roundup: Casters, Casters & More Casters.
3. Screws and Washers to fit the casters: Approx. $5
1. Unscrew the legs of your ottoman. Luckily ours came off very easily, but you could also leave them on and attach the casters directly to the bottom of the legs like our fellow Boston blogger, Kyle, did with her living room ottoman. If you do that, you probably want to find smaller casters so the fittings don't hang off the edge of the legs.
2. Drill holes for your screws. We could only secure three sides of the casters because our ottoman is hollow for storage. Make sure to check that your screws aren't going to come out anywhere that they shouldn't.
3. Screw in the casters, using washers to ensure a tight fit.
4. Repeat for all four casters and you're done!
Additional Notes: We also love the idea of replacing or adding to coffee table legs with casters — there are lots of options out there so look around for wheels that will look great with your table.
Want more smart tutorials for getting things done around the home?
See all of our Home Hacks tutorials
We're looking for great examples of your own household intelligence too!
Submit your own Home Hacks tutorial or idea here!
(Images: Sarah Rainwater)