A Mini-Meditation Is the Reset Strategy You Need to Get a Fresh Perspective on Your Space
Instead of relying on what you can add or subtract from it immediately, you should take a moment to look at what you have right in front of you. Because sometimes, all you need is a fresh perspective to get you into the spirit of revamping your home.
Day 6: Take a mini-meditation and pick a project
Take some time to recenter yourself with a meditation break. This will allow you to fully absorb what’s around you. First, you’ll want to set aside some time — at least 10 minutes and up to an hour — to take in your space, with no distractions. That means turning off the TV, silencing your phone, and closing up the windows. Then, take the time you set aside to look around your home, carefully. Here are some things you might want to ask yourself as you do:
- How does it make me feel?
- What do I appreciate about this room? If I took everything out, what would I immediately want to bring back in?
- What could enhance it? Would it be improved with better lighting, seating, or colors?
Now that you see your space in a new light, with key thoughts on what you love about it or what could make it better, let’s do something about it. Take this refreshed energy and channel it into selecting one home project off your to-do list that you want to work on this month. This project should fit one or more of the following criteria:
- It can be something you 100-percent complete this month (small enough to fit on our upcoming scheduled day for it)
- It can be a larger project with the caveat that you understand you are only making strides toward completing it at this time and setting yourself up to complete it in a reasonable amount of time. This will require you to do some scheduling afterward.
- It has to make a noticeable difference in your home, whether it’s how something works or looks. It could be a priority item from your list or something new that resonates with you.
PRO TIP: Meditation can do wonders for you in many other aspects of your life. Here’s how you can employ the “five senses method” to enhance your morning routine.
What project did you decide on? Tell us in the comments below.
More ways to participate in the January Cure:
The Cure Program is a tradition here at Apartment Therapy — it happens every January, April, and September. Click here to learn more about the year-round program and when to sign up.