Rachel & Brett’s “Resourcefully Chic” Family Home
Can't-Miss House Tours Straight to Your Inbox
Keep up with our latest house tours each weekday with our House Tour of the Day newsletter
In the heart of downtown Colorado Springs sits a quaint, colorful house filled with laughter and the pitter patter of playful feet. It’s the bustling Denbow home of four, headed up by crafty momma blogger Rachel Denbow, of Smile and Wave and Red Velvet Art. Upon arrival at the Denbow abode, I am greeted at the door by young Sebastian. “Izzy drink?!” he asks with excitement. “I cleaned my room!” “Can I show you my room now?!”, chimes in little Ruby without missing a beat. I’m quickly ushered into the main living space by the two cuties, and am not at all surprised to find a home that so perfectly reflects the warmth and energy that just greeted me at the door.
In addition to raising a couple of really great kids with husband Brett, Rachel also runs a fantastic blog where she chronicles her life as a busy creative and stay at home mom. It’s full of decor tips, crafty DIY projects, wardrobe styling ideas, and fun “before and after” furniture transformations. It’s no surprise that her home and family are a direct reflection of her artful way of life.
With an incredible eye for hidden potential, Rachel has become the Craigslist treasure hunting maven and guru of all things DIY in the Denbow house. Each room in the light-filled home is defined by pieces she thoughtfully thrifted, repurposed, or created herself. Rachel and Brett attribute their collection of colorfully curated items to years spent decorating rentals during their time in the Midwest, where vintage home decor is still pretty inexpensive and abundant. Armed with tips from their favorite design blogs, they were able to gather items they loved even on a tight budget. I’m not at all surprised to now find Rachel handing out decor tips of her own.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
Resources of Note:
- Day bed and linens: Thrifted
- Industrial Bench: Handmade by me
- Curtains: Handmade by meRug: Garage Sale
- Hairpin leg plant table: Thrifted
- Dresser: Thrifted
- All of the vintage furniture: Thrifted
- Piano: Thrifted and Painted
- Poppy Art: Vol25.etsy.com
- Framed Polaroid Prints: Andrea Jenkins of GirlHula.etsy.com
- Framed Love Print: Gingiber.com
- Enlarged Family Photo: Blueprint Copy at Kinko’s
- Mint lamp: Thrifted and painted
- B&W Rug, Sheep Skins, B&W Pillow, and Floor Lamp: IKEA
- Floral Pillows: Handmade by me
- Curtains: Belong to Home owner
- Light Fixture: Original to House
- White Wardrobe, Desk, Record Tables: Thrifted
- Dining Room Table: Handmade by me
- Kilim Rug: Thrifted
- B&W Woven Rug: Handmade by me
- School Map: AustinModern.etsy.com
Thanks, Rachel, Brett, Sebastian, and Ruby!
(Images: Kathryn Bacalis)
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE: Check out past house tours here.
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.