Good Things in Small Packages: Tiny Kitchen Appliances Are Totally On Trend
Minimalism is officially a thing right now, with people (and especially millennials) cutting back their possessions, moving into tiny homes, and living with a whole lot less. Kitchen appliances have followed suit, and more small stoves and fridges are available than ever before. If you’re living in a wee kitchen — or just want to save space without sacrificing style — then consider one of these compact designs for your space.
SHOP COMPACT RANGES:
1. Haier Freestanding 24″ Convection Range: Get sleek European design in your small space with this range. The ceramic glass cooking Surface can double as extra counter space in a pinch and dual size burners allow for flexible use. Lowes, $989
2. Danby 20″ Electric Convection Range: This range will fit in even the smallest kitchens with it’s extra slim width. There’s no bells and whistles but everything you need to get a hot meal on the table. Wafair.com, $529.99
3. GE Freestanding 24″ Electric Range: This stainless steel range is compact but offers a full 8″ burner with 2000 watts of cooking power. It has a modern ceramic glass cooking top and self-cleaning oven that’s easy for clean-ups. GE, $998.99
4. Ancona 24″ Gourmet Series Gas Range: Get industrial style in a compact size with this range. It features 4 powerful burners which allow you to cook from a high heat for boiling, frying or searing to a low simmer for the most delicate sauces. Costco, $1299
No idea where to get started when buying a new range? Your questions are answered here:
The ever adorable SMEG mini refrigerator, available from Urban Outfitters for $999. If you can’t quite go that small, here are some other slim models that might work for you.
SHOP COMPACT REFRIGERATORS:
1. Blomberg 10.4 cu. ft. 2 Door White Refrigerator: Go all white in your modern kitchen with this fresh design. Perfect for hosting small dinner parties with a built-in wine rack and fast freeze function. Wayfair.com $848.96
2. Summit Appliance 18.12 cu. ft. Refrigerator: The latest look and technology in a compact size. This fridge has everything you need. Plus the freezer compartment includes a unique express chill zone that lets you quickly cool food and drinks on a timer system that you can set from the digital controls on the door exterior. Wayfair.com, $1519.99
3. Smeg 9.2 cu. ft Refrigerator: For those who are more likely to grab a meal on the go, but still love a stylish kitchen when they’re home, this classic will never go out of style. All the essential features packaged in a vintage-inspired look. West Elm, $1999
4. Bosch 10 cu. ft. Glass Door Refrigerator: For the minimal and modern “less is more” kitchen style. This sleek glass door fridge will keep your food fresh and your kitchen looking as stylish as the rest of your space. Also comes in white. Amazon.com, $2244
Don’t know what to look for when buying a new refrigerator? Start here:
It doesn’t get any more diminutive than the Miele 18″ Futura Dimension Slimline Model, available from AJ Madison and others for $1,399. Not in your budget? Here are four other 18″ options:
SHOP COMPACT DISHWASHERS:
1. Kenmore 18″ Dishwasher: Sleek and compact in design offers six cycle options and accommodates up to 8 full place settings and is perfect for getting the job done. The QuietGuard Deluxe Sound Package makes sure you’re never disturbed as your dishes get sparkling clean. Sears, $649
2. Frigidaire 18″ Dishwasher: This built-in dishwasher will look great in your modern kitchen and features easy-to-use cleaning cycle options for your different cleaning needs including Energy Saver, Light Wash and Heavy Wash. Frigidaire, $699
3. GE Profile Seris 18″ Dishwasher: The hidden controls maintain a smooth and modern appearance. It has a glasses only specific cycle for those nights when it’s all about the pre-drinks before heading out for a night out on the town. GE $899
4. Bosch 800 Series 18″ Dishwasher: This is great if you have big cooking goals in your small kitchen with a third rack that offers 30% more loading area perfect for larger pots, pans and utensils. RackMatic® offers 3 height levels, for 9 possible rack positions. ABT Applicances, $809
Need help buying a new dishwasher? Here’s what you need to know before you shop:
Read this account of one woman who set out to buy the right small appliances for her tiny apartment kitchen.