Rethink the Stink: 5 Odor Removing Products No Home Should Be Without
As nice as it would be to always keep a perfectly clean, perfectly smelling house — the truth is, bad odors happen. Whether it’s smelly upholstery from a great thrift store find, a pet’s potty training accident, or a party that needs a massive cleanup, funky smell are an unavoidable part of everyday life. With that in mind, here are the 5 products we’d recommend always having in the house to combat and remove odors.
1. Bac Out Stain and Odor Eliminator by Biokleen: This biodegradable enzymatic cleaner doesn’t just mask, it actually eats stains and odors. It’s natural and scent free, good for removing smells due to mold and mildew, pets, food, tubs and tile, clogged drains, and garbage disposals.
2. Vinegar: One of the many uses for vinegar is odor removal. Add it to laundry to remove mildew smells, pour it in a bowl placed in the corner of a room to deodorize, put it in a dishwasher for general gleaning, or dilute it with water and spray it on stains, just as you would with any other cleaner.
3. Moso Natural: We’ve discussed the great natural odor removing abilities of charcoal before. This product stores bamboo charcoal in a bag, which can conveniently be placed around the home, such as at the bottom of a trashcan, near a litter box, in smelly shoes, or anywhere else there’s a build up of smells, mold or mildew.
4. Nature’s Miracle Stain & Odor Remover: Similar to Bac Out, Nature’s Miracle is an enzymatic cleaner that actual eliminates odors. This is especially important for animal related accidents, as pets will continue to pee in the same spot if they smell their scent.
5. Baking Soda: Last but not least, baking soda is the classic deodorizer. Put an open box in the refrigerator or cupboard to keep odors at bay, sprinkle a little in a litter box to minimize smells, or dust onto stained upholstery or carpets and then vacuum to remove smells.